Sunday, July 15, 2012

Establishment of "Tri Dad Try"

My name is Josh Brown.  I am 37 years old and a single father to 4 beautiful children.  I am also a triathlete.  I firmly believe that each of us have our own experiences throughout life to help us learn many different lessons.  I also believe that each lesson is unique and especial crafted for us to learn more about ourselves, more about trust, and especially more about love.
During the recent Day Break Olympic triathlon, I was about 3 miles into the 6 mile run.  I had no energy left.  My whole body was screaming that it was out of gas.  My mind was starting to listen.  Thoughts came to my mind to quit, just to give up.  Freeze frame for just one moment - I had already completed a mile swim (including a full-on panic attack in the first 200 yards of the swim), a 24 mile bike ride, and at this point, 3 miles of the 6 mile run.

With each new stride, my body screamed and my mind was listening.  I was seriously ready to give-up and quit right there on the course, then I heard my daughter Abbie's voice in my head.  "Just try dad, try."  As I fought back the thoughts to quit, the pain, and the tears; I was filled with a renewed power of hope.  I finished the race with that voice ring over and over again in my head - "Try Dad Try."

Finish Photo with Abbie
The hope and goal of this blog is to reach out to those that feel like I did during this race and at different times throughout any given day.  I hope to impart some wisdom from my own struggles and triumphant as a single father.  The blog is specifically created to help other single fathers that face the same daily challenges and struggles that I do.

If nothing else, the hope to be an avenue that one father's stand for success comes from continued real personal struggles and experiences when faced together... we can succeed.

"I am the Master of my fate.  I am the Captain of my soul." - last two lines of poem "Invictus"

4 comments:

  1. I {LOVE} this picture of you and Miss Abbie!!! I think you will reach far beyond the mentioned audience. You have a grand strength and resolve in your presence. Glad I get to follow your journey and learn from you......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! Although your topic may be geared towards single dads, it sounds like your posts may be applicable to a much wider audience. I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh, what a wonderful reason to start a blog! I look forward to following your "tri/try" quest, as you are a great inspiration of someone who won't let life knock you down. You are a great father and a fabulous person. Tri, try on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the picture of you and the kids. We'd love to see yo guys.

    ReplyDelete